Thursday, October 14, 2010

Notepad Project Synopsis

Word Matrix


Thumbnails


Rough Sketch



Final Printed Proof



Because the final product was going to be a notepad, I needed to use as much white space as possible (for the functional part) while still making it appealing to the audience. At first, I somewhat cluttered up the page with borders and graphics. After the critique, I realized that I didn't need all that much going on for it to be effective. I removed one of the graphics and the unnecessary borders around the words, and the layout was a lot cleaner.

I also gave my design some direction in my choice of graphics. I edited one of my concert photos in Photoshop in which the guitarist was pointing his guitar in the air and made it into a plain black and white image that almost looked like a vector drawing. I placed it right beneath and to the left of the wording across the top of the page so that the guitar was pointing to the words and would lead the viewer's eye to them.

I chose the guitarist graphic and rock theme because I felt it would appeal to the majority of the intended audience, which were high school teenagers. I chose Skia font in small caps because it went well with the theme. The small caps also gave it some balance. I made "Rock Your Individuality" a little bigger than the rest of the text to gain a little bit more attention since the viewer would most likely already be looking for the PSU Graphics and Imaging Technology and website information. I wanted to be sure that the phrase across the bottom would be a little more dominant. I didn't use any gray or faded black tones because the stark black throughout went along with the rock theme as well.

All in all, it turned out to be a simple design, thanks to the critique. It served the purpose of a notepad because too much clutter on such a small page would make it a lot less appealing to the target audience or to anyone, for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment